Roy Van Wyk is a Founding Partner at Kilinski | Van Wyk PLLC. Roy dedicates much of his time as an attorney representing community development districts (CDD’s) as general counsel as well as counseling builders, developers, and investors, with respect to the establishment and operation of CDD’s.
In his practice, Roy draws on his prior local government experience, as he served for 18 years in the arena of local government construction and construction regulation. Roy has a deep understanding of the construction industry as he is also a Florida Certified Electrical Contractor. He was a partner with Hopping Green & Sams, P.A. for nearly 20 years prior to realizing his entrepreneurial goals of starting Kilinski | Van Wyk PLLC.
Roy’s focus is specific to advising clients in the establishment and continuing operation of community development districts and other forms of special taxing districts – Roy provides legal advice and strategies in the areas of public finance, public procurement, open government (Sunshine Laws) and ethics, rulemaking procedures, construction matters, licensing requirements, real property transactions, election law, government contracts, along with a wide array of District governing activities and requirements.
Public Finance – Roy often assists clients in developing public finance strategies to meet the needs of the communities he serves. Having provided counsel on a large number of special district projects across the state of Florida he is also highly regarded and frequently engaged to provide a legal roadmap in the areas of construction, acquisition, strategy, and execution for varying categories of community infrastructure and development needs. His clients include a broad assortment of districts of diverse sizes all with their own complexities relative to bond issuances and creating financing arrangements for funding water and sewer systems, public roadways, transportation improvements, drainage projects, parks and recreation, among other public projects. Roy also has experience in the restructuring and reissuance of bonds.
Issuers Counsel – Having led the legal strategy and execution on hundreds of millions in bond issuance value across multiple clients on a large and growing segment of his practice, Roy is well known and respected for his competence as Issuers Counsel.
- Represents many special districts in the enforcement and collection of special assessments, including foreclosures.
- Represented various interests before a number of state agency Boards and Commissions, including Florida Land and Water Adjudicatory Commission, Electrical Contractor’s Licensing Board and Florida Building Commission.
- Represents development entities before local governments regarding the establishment of community development districts and development issues.
- Serves as general counsel to community development districts on a variety of matters, including public finance, public procurement, open government and ethics, construction, and real property.
- Prior to becoming a lawyer in 2003, Roy served for over 18 years in local government construction and construction regulation, including 8 years as senior manager for Miami-Dade County.
Having grown up in South Florida, Roy spent innumerable hours enjoying the area waters, beaches, and the Everglades. After more than 40 years in South Florida, Roy moved his family to Tallahassee to begin practicing law. An avid boater and fisherman, he frequently travels to Central and South America to sport fish. Roy and his wife, Suzanne, also enjoy traveling with their three daughters and spend most summers enjoying Florida’s panhandle beaches.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude (Dean’s Certificate of Achievement Cali Excellence Award: Civil Procedure)
- Nova Southeastern University, M.B.A.
- Florida International University, B.P.A., with honors (Outstanding Scholar Award, School of Public Administration)
- Florida Bar Association, Section on City, County and Local Government Law
- Florida Building Commission, Electrical Technical Advisory Committee, member
- Florida Building Commission, Education Technical Advisory Committee, former member
- Previously served on a variety of local, state, and national committees dealing with construction regulation, education, and licensing including National Conference of States on Building Codes and Standards, Technology Committee.
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court (Middle District of Florida, Southern District of Florida)