Meredith Hammock is an Attorney at Kilinski | Van Wyk where she specializes in the establishment and representation of special districts, including community development districts, improvement districts, stewardship districts and recreational districts. She also represents private and public clients in construction law matters and serves as issuers counsel in conjunction with public financing.
Meredith began practicing law in 2015 and since that time has worked on a wide range of matters, including commercial and public contract drafting, negotiation and compliance related to large- and small-scale construction projects, aviation law, technology, and Federal and local small business policies and programs, with over a year of tax-specific practice focusing primarily on advising clients on various state and local income/franchise and indirect tax matters, including legal entity rationalization projects, organizational restructuring projects, due diligence projects, planning feasibility reviews, representing taxpayers during audit and administrative appeals proceedings, and providing technical analyses on various state and local tax issues.
Meredith’s focus is specific to advising clients in the establishment and continuing operation of community development districts and other forms of special taxing districts – Meredith helps clients in the areas of public finance, public procurement, open government (Sunshine Laws) and ethics, rulemaking procedures, construction matters, navigating various licensing requirements, real property transactions, election law, government contracts, and a wide array of District governing documents. She also represents clients on business and governmental regulation matters, including, but not limited to: construction law issues including contract negotiations, in bidding matters, including bid protests.
Public Finance – Meredith has assisted clients on a number of projects to developing public finance strategy to meet their needs. Having served a number of public and private clients engaged in development projects across the state of Florida, she is well equipped to provide sound guidance on construction, acquisition, strategy, and execution for multiple types of community infrastructure and development financing needs. Clients include a broad assortment of districts, from thousands of acres and units to a few hundred homes, with varying goals. All projects are complex and having the right legal advice is a must when considering issuing bonds and creating alternate financing arrangements for funding water and sewer systems, public roadways, transportation improvements, drainage projects, and parks and recreation, among other public projects.
Issuers Counsel – Meredith has provided counsel on millions in bond issuance value across multiple clients across the state of Florida.
Landowner and Developer Services – Meredith provides clients with advice on all phases of landowner, developer, home builder and resident development activities and has a passion for bringing projects to life. From greenfield to residential launch and beyond, she’s been involved in projects assisting teams to the develop and implement the optimum strategy to achieve success.
- Meredith assists with representation of some of the largest master planned communities in Central Florida, Southwest Florida, and areas in between.
- Meredith has served on teams as counsel to some of Florida’s largest landowners, national homebuilders, and largest developers in the establishment of special districts and general counsel representation thereafter. This representation includes serving as district counsel in the validation of millions of dollars in tax-exempt financing and serving as issuer’s counsel related to the same.
- Meredith also represents a number of resident-controlled special districts, where she prides herself on offering policy, business and legal advice in support of the elected officials direction and goals. A resident of a special district herself, she understands the importance of sound policy and supporting legal advice and the direct impact to people’s lives in their communities.
- Meredith has assisted a number of private landowners in conjunction with negotiation and execution of construction contracts for multi-million dollar private projects, including coordination with owners, contractors, engineers and related professionals.
In her free time, Meredith enjoys traveling with her husband and spending time with friends and family.
- Florida State University College of Law, Juris Doctor cum laude (Law Review – Article Editor and Executive Board Member; Business Review – Member; Dean’s List; Book Awards/highest grade in class)
- Florida State University, Bachelor of Arts – English magna cum laude (President’s List and Dean’s List, all semesters; Honor’s College; Phi Beta Kappa Society; Alpha Delta Pi)
- Florida Corporate Practice (10th Edition), co-author of Chapter 1: General Provisions; Chapter 2: Formation Of Corporations; Chapter 6: Shareholders, Shareholders’ Agreements, Meetings, And Voting; and Chapter 14: Corporate Records And Reports
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Member
- Florida Bar Admission, 2015